JEC World 2017 - Paris
Live Demonstrations at Bond-Laminates
This year’s participation to the world’s biggest composite show is themed
„20 years of experience in mass production of thermoplastic composites“.
On this special occasion we are going to present a live demonstration on the booth of Bond-Laminates in cooperation with ENGEL Austria GmbH and the LEOHNHARD KURZ Stiftung & Co.KG.
The combination of the already proven Hybrid Molding with the In-Mould-Decoration-Technique enables the large-scale production of completely decorated parts in very short cycle times. Here a dry paint system is applied on the surface of the thermoplastic composite while forming and injection molding.
Convince yourself of this technically matured and ready to use technology.
Be our guest on booth number J11 in hall 5A to discuss the versatile possibilities.
Description of Process
- The net-shaped thermoplastic composite sheet is heated in an IR-oven over the material-specific softening temperature, in order to make the composite sheet soft for the forming process.
- At the same time the decorative foil is placed in the mold and by vacuum, the foil is ingested to the surface of the mold.
- Simultaneously, the mold is heated to the activation temperature of the paint on the decorative foil by a rapid-heating/cooling method.
- As soon as the temperature of the composite sheet is reached a robot picks up the hot sheet and transfers it into the mold. The transfer time takes less than 5 seconds, so that the composite sheet does not cool below the softening temperature.
- The mold closes and the composite sheet is formed into the shape of the mold.
- As soon as the mold is fully closed, the injection molding of the thermoplastic resin starts. The injected thermoplastic fills up the edges and the functional components of the part.
- In the same process step, the dry paint of the decorative foil is transferred to the surface of the composite part by the pressure of the forming, the pressure of the injected melt as well as the activation temperature of the mold.
- After activation time, the cooling of the finalized part starts until the withdrawal temperature is reached.
- Due to parallelization of process steps the total cycle time is only 60 – 90 seconds, depending on part geometry, polymer-type and the paint system of the decorative foil.